Makes : 8 patties
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cook time : 20-25 minutes
Smoker Pellets (if using a smoker) : Hardwood pellets in apple and alder
For Burger Patties :
2 pounds Five Marys Farms dry-aged ground beef
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
For Whiskey BBQ sauce :
1/4 cup apple cider
1/4 cup whiskey
1/4-1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/8 cup soy sauce
2-3 dashes of hot sauce
2-3 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove, crushed
For Crispy Onions :
1 cup flour
1 cup heavy cream
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 cups neutral oil
For Fixin’s :
8 brioche buns
2 ripe avocados
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees *can also be done on a traditional grill or grilled stove-top too!
- Form your meat into 8 1/4-pound patties.
- Form the patties fairly thin, about 5 inches in diameter.
- Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Before you put the burgers on the hot grill, whisk together the whiskey BBQ sauce ingredients and heat to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Place the flour in a bowl and the cream in another.
- Place the sliced onions in the cream.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- At this point, place the burgers on the grill.
- Working quickly and in batches, dredge the onions in the flour, shaking off the excess, and place them into the oil.
- These fry quickly, roughly 2 minutes per batch.
- Between batches, check your patties and flip them at about 5 minutes.
- Continue frying the onions while the burgers finish cooking.
- To assemble the burgers, place 2 patties on 1 bun and top with sliced avocado, crispy onions, and whisky BBQ sauce! Enjoy!
The comments +