Prep time : 15 minutes
Cook time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4-6 people
Cut : A round steak is a beef steak from the “round”, the rear leg of the cow. The round is divided into cuts including the eye (of) round, bottom round, and top round. Also known as the London Broil.
For Crispy Beef :
2-2 1/2 pounds Five Marys Farms round steak
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup corn starch
For Sauce :
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
1-2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced and chopped
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
Juice of an orange
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
For Garnishes :
Chopped green onions
Fresh herbs such as basil or cilantro
More sesame seeds
- Slice the round steak into strips as thinly as possible.
- A partially-frozen steak slices with ease.
- Place the strips into a large bowl and add the baking soda, garlic, soy sauce, and pepper to the meat.
- Mix thoroughly and let stand for 10 minutes.
- The corn starch will be mixed into the meat just before frying the beef.
- While the steak marinates, whisk all the sauce ingredients together except for the water and cornstarch.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil.
- Mix the corn starch into the beef and fry in batches, 1-2 minutes per side.
- Once fried, set the steak aside.
- Quickly add the sauce to hot pan, along with the water and cornstarch, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the beef back to the pan and coat with the sauce.
- Serve over rice, then garnish.