Serves : 2-4 people
Prep Time : 30 minutes
Cook Time : 2 hours
- 1 pound pork belly, skin on
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorn
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 4 whole allspice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 sprig sage
- 1 apple, quartered
- 1 lemon
- 1 onion, chopped in large pieces
- 1 fennel bulb, chopping in large pieces
- 1 large bottle of hard cider
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Toast spices on a sheet tray in the oven for a couple minutes until fragrant.
- Put in a grinder or mortar with garlic clove and sage and blend/smash until fine, add the sugar and half of the salt.
- Pat belly dry and rub with half of lemon and sprinkle spice mix on the meat (none on the skin).
- Sprinkle the skin with salt. Place in roasting pan that fits the belly with a little room on each side.
- Add onion and fennel around sides.
- Roast for 1 hour or until skin starts crisping up.
- Pour in bottle of hard cider, avoiding the pork skin
- Cider should come up close to the top of the belly.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees F and roast another hour.
- Reduce heat again to 250 degrees F and cook until you can pull the belly meat apart (approximately 1 hour).
- Rub salt off of the skin.
- Place on a cutting board to rest.
- Put roasting veggies in a blender and slowly puree smooth, adding roasting juices to get desired consistency.
- On a platter, spread roasted veggies and slice pork belly with serrated knife.
- Place on puree and drizzle sauce around.
The comments +