Serves : 8-10 people
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cook time : 6 hours
Cut : Pork shoulder roasts come from the arm front shoulder area of the pig. They are wonderful for braising.
6 pounds of Five Marys Farms bone-in shoulder roasts (leg steaks work great for this recipe as well).
1 12-ounce bottle of hard apple or pear cider
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
6-8 shallots, peeled and halved
2 bulbs of fennel, trimmings, tough outer ribs removed
1 tablespoon olive oil
Pinch of chili flakes
1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Cut the large shoulder arm roast into two pieces and brown the pork in olive oil in a heavy bottom pot with lid.
- Add the cider and onions to the pot and season generously with kosher salt and pepper.
- Bake 3+ hours until the pork shreds with a fork.
- Remove the pork roast from the oven to rest while you sauté the shallots and fennel.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the fennel and shallots in the olive oil, chili flakes, and brown sugar 10-15 minutes.
- Serve when the shallots are translucent and slightly caramelized.
- Serve the shredded pork alongside the veggies and pan juices.
The comments +