FIVE MARYS CUT: 1 lb Five Marys Italian Sausage
Crust: (2-3 pizzas)
1 1/8 cups warm water
3 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
Toppings: (2-3 pizzas)
1 pound Five Marys Italian Sausage
1 shallot or small onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 pound brussels sprouts, stems removed and thinly sliced
1/3 cup provolone cheese, freshly grated
1/3 cup fontina cheese, freshly grated
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
salt and pepper to taste
1) In a large bowl, COMBINE water, yeast, honey and olive oil. Let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. ADD 2 1/2 cups flour and salt, stirring until the dough comes together slightly sticky. Using your hands, form the dough into a ball and work in the additional 1/2 cup flour, kneading it on a floured surface for a few minutes. RUB the bowl with olive oil and place dough inside, turning to coat. Cover with a towel in a warm place to rise for 1.5 hours.
2) AFTER the dough has risen, punch it down and put on floured surface. If dough is sticky, add more flour. DIVIDE the dough in half (or thirds) and roll/pull to size of your cast iron pan to desired thickness.
3) COOK up bacon or sausage (or both!) in a cast iron skillet until cooked through, chop bacon in smaller pieces. REDUCE heat to medium-low and add shallots or onions to bacon/sausage grease. Cook until soft, then add garlic, sliced brussels, salt and pepper, stirring well to coat. Cook 6-8 minutes, tossing occasionally.
4) PREHEAT your broiler to the highest setting and place your cast iron skillet on the stovetop burner on high to heat the skillet. ADD dough and half of the cheeses and all the toppings into the skillet as it is heating. TOP with the remaining cheese.
5) Turn OFF the broiler and using a hot pad, pop the skillet in the oven under the broiler starting to cool for 30 seconds. Rotate 180 degrees for another 30 seconds. REMOVE when hot & bubbly!
Share your creation at #fivemarysmeats #fivemaryscastironpizza
The comments +