Serves : 4-6 people
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cook time : 2 hours
Smoker Pellets : Hardwood pellets in apple wood
Cut : Five Marys Pork Leg Steak
- 2 1/2 pounds Five Marys Farms pork leg steaks
- Kosher salt and pepper
For the gravy –
- 4-5 cups smoked leg steak cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 glove garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Five Marys Farms spice rub – ORDER YOURS HERE
- 1/4 cup flour
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- 6-8 fluffy buttermilk biscuits for serving
- First, season your leg steaks with salt and pepper. Smoke at 250 degrees for 2-4 hours.
- To make the gravy, add the meat, onions, olive oil, and seasonings to a large skillet with tall sides.
- Sauté over medium to medium-high heat until the meat and onions begin to caramelize.
- Add the flour and stir until the flour is foamy and dissolved in the drippings, roughly 2-3 minutes.
- Add the milk and bring the pot to a simmer until the mixture thickens, 6-7 minutes.
- Finish with the heavy cream.
- Spoon the gravy over split warm biscuits and sprinkle with chives.
What is the best temp for pork leg? It’s always tough so I figure I’m over cooking.